As part of our commitment to sustainability and green tourism, we are assessed under the Green Tourism Business Scheme, the leading sustainable tourism certification scheme in the UK.
The Gables Whisky B&B is passionately committed to the Green Tourism Business Scheme (and becoming as environmentally friendly as we can). We recognise that our operations have an effect on the local, regional and global environment.
As a consequence of this, we are committed to continuous improvement in environmental performance and the prevention of pollution. To help us achieve these goals, we are committed to the following:
- We regard environmental regulations, laws and codes of practice as setting the minimum standards of environmental performance.
- We minimise waste by reducing, reusing and recycling materials wherever possible. All whisky box packaging is recycled as are plastic bottles.
- Energy usage is continually monitored. We use LED and long-life bulbs. All radiators are fitted with individual e-thermostats. We use A+ rated kitchen appliances and dry laundry outside when possible. We only turn on the heat when necessary, when feeling cold first action is to put on warmer clothes.
- We provide a link on our website to the public transport timetable.
- We have walking guides and maps on our website and nature books and magazines in our guest lounge with binoculars for birdwatching.
- We use Eco-friendly and biological laundry and cleaning products. Where possible we use recycled paper products.
- We use and offer Eco-friendly shampoo, shower gel and hand soap. We use refill packages where possible.
- We ask guests to consider the environment and re-use towels when possible.
- We shop local when possible. The local butcher delivers meat and eggs. We buy local fruit when in season. If we cannot get local, we look for Scottish produce. Where possible we choose for organic and Fairtrade foods and drinks. We try to avoid single wrapped products.
- We have artwork throughout the house by local artists.
- Our garden plants include those insect and bird friendly. We attract butterflies, bees and bumble bees in the summer. Our garden – and food waste is composted.
- Because we’re on a private water supply we have water that tastes excellent and has the quality of spring water. Therefore we don’t use bottled water. Guests can borrow tin water bottles to take with them during the day.